Thursday, April 15, 2010

The last strawberry


Yippee - produce!! Ok the plant did arrive with the last strawberry actually already on it, but it made a good photo...

I spent this morning wiping small yellow eggs off the cabbage and broccoli leaves which I'm assuming were the beginning of cabbage moth caterpillars (well I hope that's what they were and not something else?). I'm not looking forward to the squishing of caterpillars (a la Jamie Oliver) so am hoping to prevent them arriving in the first place. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Tonight I am making a beetroot, orange and rocket salad to go with our fish. Sadly none of the produce is fully grown yet so I will still need to imagine what it will be like digging up my own beetroot and rocket. However, I have decided to add random herbs to the salad (it is normally made without) as I have them ready to go - coriander, parsley and mint - should be interesting?

Heidi (Chooks and Veggies) called today to say that our local newspaper (The Advertiser) wants to do a story on a family that are new to the veggie garden world, who have children and are happy to be photographed - she has offered us up.

It got me to thinking - in no particular order of importance or relevance:
1) Heidi is no longer my friend;
2) The Advertiser will need to take at least 100 photos to get one of me with my eyes open (I will be having sleepless nights over being photographed - trust me);
3) I will need to keep the veggie garden alive until such time as they arrive - hopefully its soon; and
4) Kate B will need to read The Advertiser

3 comments:

Nikki M said...

I hope that comes in online versions as well! The Advertiser article that is - well done on the veggie garden its very impressive!

kateB said...

Read it? I'll buy a subscription! Amazing! Gardening never looked so good.
p.s. great photo of the berry

trouble said...

My advice for photo shoot, just put your wellies on and sun hat and pose in photo as if you are gardening, head down hard at work digging, pruning etc.......... don't forget to wipe some dirt on your clothes and face!!! GOOD LUCK!