Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Map of Love


To cheer myself up over the whole MacBook saga I'd love to share with you a great book called 'The Map of Love' by Ahdaf Soueif.

I bought my book in a second hand book shop - I was having heart palpitations about the amount of money I'd been spending on new books so thought I'd see what they had to offer (yes, I have heard of a library, but I love having books of my own and that I can share).

This book title caught my eye and I thought it sounded beautiful just from the title and the book jacket. Inside the front cover was the inscription 'Robbie Douglas 2001 Abu Dhabi' - and I had to buy the book. I love that the book has a romantic history of its own - was it bought in an airport, whilst someone was living there or just passing through?

The story itself did not disappoint. The book is based in 1900 when Lady Anna Winterbourne travels to Egypt where she falls in love with Sharif, an Egyptian Nationalist committed to his country's cause. A hundred years later, Isabel Parkman, an American divorcee (and the granddaughter of Anna and Sharif) travels to Egypt taking with her note books and journals detailing Anna and Sharif's story and secrets which ultimately impact on Isabel's current life and loves.

The book combines Anna's astonishing love affair at a time when it was incredibly unconventional with Isabel's current love life (which pales into insignificance against the amazing story of Anna and Sharif). I also found the history lesson provided in the book completely absorbing and fascinating and have to admit to previously not knowing much about this time of British Imperialism in Egypt's history.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful book (it was shortlisted for the 1999 Booker Prize - better reviewed late than never!) and couldn't put it down.

2 comments:

Kate Sullivan said...

Jane, bought this after reading your review. Am half way through it. The gentle pace and fascinating parallel stories make it a lovely book to read. Thanks, Kate

Jane said...

Kate I am so happy you like it too - its so unusal and fascinating.