Thursday, March 4, 2010

Consolation

Aah those tricky French authors sent to test our educations...


Consolation started much the same for me as 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' - I struggled and felt ridiciously under educated and lacking in vocabulary, architectural, musical and linguistic knowledge. However... half way through the book - once Charles discovers Kate, I could not put it down. It was brilliant and am so glad I perservered. The second half was really magical and I wish I could visit the farm and let my children live the idyllic non-conventional life too (being afraid of critters and loving routines this is unlikely to ever eventuate!).

Consolation was the bestselling French novel in 2008, with sales of over half a million copies and translations into thirty-two languages. Its apparently darker and more complex than 'Hunting and Gathering' Anna Gavalda's previous book, but is just as brilliant and tells a heartbreaking, unusual story about one man, two remarkable women and an unforgettable transvestite.

A 47-year-old successful architect (I've read a few books with architects in them lately eg: Loving Frank, but I guess this is not surprising considering my husband is also an architect) hears about the death of a woman, whom he once loved Anouk, the tragically big-hearted mother of a childhood friend - and his life starts to unravel. Charles seems to have everything, but turns his back on the present to go in search of her past and his childhood, falling a long way down. One day he finds himself on a Paris pavement covered in his own blood. But, as the title suggests, fate holds out a final chance of consolation when, far from his Parisian life, he meets Kate, an enchanting young woman, herself damaged but fearless and in love with life.

Once I got into the book I loved the brilliant characters and wonderful writing. I would recommend this book to any of serious reading friends but would probably suggest it is too involved for book clubs (but I have been wrong before!).
(*La Consolante - The French title is what players of boules call the consolation play-off match between the losers.)

2 comments:

KateB said...

You sold me. But I am starting with Hunting And Gathering, and then working my way towards consolation. And I am putting The Elegance Of The Hedgehog in the next garage sale. Call me a philistine.

Jane said...

Am onto a new book now called "The toss of the Lemon' so will be forwarding that to you as well in the future if you'd like.