Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mental notes



"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." ~ Bernard Meltzer"


My poor friends are so used to this time of year - and are so patient with me as it approaches. Its been a busy year (working part-time, completing Gold Coast marathon, renovating the house - nearly forgot about that! and having been touched by a few tragic stories) and as the weather improves and the holidays approach my poor great friends hear my lament:


Me:"That's it - there has got to be an easier way to make money. I wish I had a job I loved! I don't think I'm fulfilling any of my roles to my satisfaction - none of my balls are in the air any more, they are all on the floor somewhere being chased by the cats".


Girls:" You are right - life is too short - quit your job and work out what makes you happy."


Me: "Excellent idea" I quit (again).......


Then March comes around, kids are back at school, school fees loom large, I want to go on holidays to Africa (or Fiji, Noosa or New Zealand etc etc) and I am at a loss what to do with myself:


Me:" Girls, guess what? I've got a new fantastic job - it pays well, I only have to work a couple of days / week and I don't have to work school holidays. Isn't it fantastic!"


Girls:" Mmmm do you love it?"


Me:" Well it pays well and they promise I won't have to work more than I want to...."


Girls: "We've heard that before"


Me:"I know, I know. This time it will be different."


Then October comes around, I've worked every school holidays and am now sometimes working nights and weekends.....and the girls are still my friends and I can't imagine how they put up with this annual ridiculous saga that is my life.


How does anyone find the balance? Is it all a feminist myth?


Promise my next story will be about books....

No comments: