Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bookshelf choices

I thought I'd write a quick entry on some of the books that have stayed on my bookshelf over the years and are usually on my list of recommendations for a good read.

Staircase bookshelf - isn't it a fantastic idea!

Over the last couple of years I've been requested to give recommendations to friends who have not been well, are leaving children for long periods, wanted a good holiday read or just wanted to read something a bit different.

There are many books I've read and loved over the years but:
(a): I've forgotten their titles and / or their authors, or
(b): I've forgotten I've read them, or
(c): My list would be too long if I listed them all.

I read most of these over the last few years, so I haven't retrospectively reviewed them merely listed them - I'm happy to tell you more about them if you want more info.

So here is a very random and incomplete selection of what is still in my bookshelf (hence making it easy for me to remember their titles, etc!) and I would recommend as good reading (in no particular order):

1) Q&A by Vikas Swarup (plus Six Suspects by the same author)

2) The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif (have realised I did review this book earlier in this blog!)


3) Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry (plus A Fine Balance by the same author)


4) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


5) The Famished Road by Ben Okri


6) Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (plus Run by the same author)

7) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson


8) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides



9) Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (plus The Blind Assassin and also The Handmaid's Tale)


10) March by Geraldine Brooks (plus People of the Book by the same author)

All images courtesy of the book depository

What are you reading at the moment? Are you enjoying it or finding it a struggle? Would love to hear some recommendations....

No comments: