Friday, May 14, 2010

Help!

A few amateur questions - please, please someone tell me what I am supposed to be doing.....

The lettuces have gone beserk! Do I just cut leaves off or do I need to pull the whole plant out (I've been cutting leaves off so far and don't seem to have killed anything yet)?

The Asian greens are also going crazy! A few caterpillars have already enjoyed these. Once again - do I cut leaves or pull whole plants? And when?

Some of the beetroots look ready - but how do you know unless you pull one out?

The celery is going well. I'm sure I will have questions soon.

And dear Heidi (or anyone else)- what are these again??



Last but not least - we have a baby cauliflower - I'm so happy - the boys are less than thrilled...

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

3 comments:

Sarah tyson said...

looks great jane! just keep picking and eating!

re: beetroot, stick your finger in the dirt, if you can feel a beet, pull him out!

Jane said...

Excellent - thanks

KateB said...

The mystery leaves with the purple vein/stems are, I believe, Swiss chard. Does that sound right? If so, lucky you! SO delicious in wintery soups or risotto, or wilted with garlic.... I am getting hungry - and jealous!