Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book club reviews

Ok I can finally give my review of the books we read for the last book club.

Firstly, Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard. The book was a very light read about Elizabeth's new life in Paris after meeting a Parisian man (Gwendal) and moving in with him. The book was centered around her discovery of food, recipes and the French culture. The book actually has several recipes included between the chapters but I was mostly uninspired by the them - except for the 'Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes' but I'm a sucker for warm chocolate.

I didn't love this book and found Elizabeth very uneducated when it came to food (she's from America and makes it seem like she never ate anything non-processed) - she allegedly had never prepared a leek! As I said its a light read but I certainly won't be recommending it to anyone - unless they are about to go and live in Paris (we can but dream).

The other book we read was Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama.

Barack Obama is an amazingly beautiful writer. I would love to hear him speak.

The book covers his life from his childhood up to the point where he enters university to study law. It is a very candid exploration of his relationship with his family and predominantly his relationship with his absent father.

I really enjoyed this book - on the whole. There were certainly parts of it that were a bit tedious and over indulgent (I often find this in autobiographies - it may just be me?) but I was fascinated to read about how he encounters racial tensions in both America and Africa and his views on this. Being of South African origin, I always find books about racism compelling and confronting - and Barack has such a unique perspective.

One of the fascinating insights that a couple of book club girls had, was that the book was solely on Barack's need to understand and form a relationship with his father - whilst his mother, and all that she has done for him and sacrificed for his future, is virtually ignored. 

It was an interesting observation about motherhood and how it is often taken for granted by both men and less often women (especially if they are mothers too). 

I am really glad I read this book - I would not ordinarily pick it off the shelves so I am very grateful to book club for encouraging me to read books I wouldn't choose for myself.

No comments: