Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Revolutionary Road


Revolutionary road is set in the 1950s (with all the associated now seemingly strange practices - eg: whisky after work, drink driving and a lot of cigarette smoking!) but the themes it covers are depressingly similar to ones many people encounter today (careers that never took off, dreams not realised, infidelity etc etc).  April and Frank Wheeler had hoped to live an exciting life, full of meaning and adventure. However 'real life' gets in the way and they discover they are living the boring suburban life they theoretically detest. As a solution to their ailing marriage and the dull society they reluctantly belong to, April proposes that they pack up the kids and move to Paris. That way, Frank can “find himself” while April earns their living, giving them both a second chance at happiness in life. Despite early hesitation that the plan is “a bit unrealistic,” Frank soon agrees. Circumstances intervene and the plan becomes unstuck.


I found the book both confronting, amazingly written (its obvious why its a cult classic) and terribly, terribly depressing (thanks KateB)...


Once again, it is a book that I probably won't rush to see the movie of. I normally don't like Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet together (Titanic was torture for me), but I think Leonardo would make an excellent insipid, self promoting Frank and Kate Winslet would make a wonderful strong, disturbed April - but I'm still not keen to see the movie - too depressing, and frankly, who needs that.


(PS: The cover of the book KateB lent me did not have this lovely 1950s car image (my husband would know what kind of car this is!), but hers had Kate and Leo on it which was a bit cheesier - I like this classic cover)

3 comments:

Kate Buckley said...

You can always count on me for cheesier. xo

Suzie said...

I have this book but have shied away from it because of worrying about how much time I want to spend in a mire of depression.... I think I'll give it a whirl once I defeat The Lacuna.

Jane said...

Suzie, The Lacuna does require 'defeating' - the first half is definitely better than the second...Good luck.