Monday, January 18, 2010

Jodi's last book



I've been putting off writing about this book that my friend Jodi lent me because I was sick and miserable with pneumonia. However on Saturday night Jodi lost her amazingly brave fight with bowel cancer and passed away. I will no longer be lending her books, borrowing her books or talking to her about books we've loved - she was a special friend and has left a gaping hole in many hearts.

The last borrowed book is The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. The book is written confusingly (at first) in the present and the past but it is a fascinating story about a topic that I knew little about. The story starts off with the murder of a polygamist father in a small town of fundamental Mormons in Utah. The man's 19th wife is accused of the murder and the book covers the murder from the perspective of the accused's son who was expelled from the sect six years before.

It was a great book and I couldn't put it down - I think it would make a great book club book as it covers so many fascinating topics from quite different eras in history.

Thanks for everything Jodi - I hope heaven has a great library.