Monday, November 18, 2013

Its been a LONG year...

I won't bore you with the details of my leg injury and resultant immobile year - other than to say it means I have read a truck load of books!

I have been under pressure from a number of sources to write about these books. The first few months of book reading were a little influenced by all the pain killing drugs I was on and I confess I only have vague recollections of the contents of some that were read.

I will have write a couple of posts in order to fill you in on all the books I've read - some that have been great and some that have been not so amazing. Starting with the one I just finished…..AND LOVED…

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

Oh it was so good - a bit different though and took a little while to get completely engrossed. The book tells the story of a very unusual boy / man who believes he is the orphan master's son and destined for great things in North Korea. The story is obviously fictional, but if even 1/4 of the story is based on what life is truly like in North Korea, it is pretty frightening. I loved it - 4 **** stars.

Ok.
Now we are going right back to the beginning of the year. Drugs were involved. Memories not so clear. So I am going to employ a simple star rating - and you will just have to read them to find out what they were about!!

The fault in our stars: John Green - 3 *** stars (don't think I loved it)


The Perks of being a wallflower - 2 *** stars (know I'm supposed to love it, but didn't)


Autumn Laing: Alex Miller - 2 ** stars (struggled through this)

The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared: Jonas Jonasson - brilliantly funny and easy to read - 31/2 ***+ stars.


Last one for today (I have PAGES of books to go…) - The Light between Oceans: ML Stedman
41/2 ****+ stars. LOVED, loved, loved - beautiful, different, haunting. I don't want to give too much away but please, do yourself a favour and read this one pronto.


Next instalment soon. Promise...

No comments: