Friday, May 25, 2012

The Woman in the Fifth

In my newly found appreciation for the local library (cost cutting tip #1 for me) - I am reading all sorts of not so new releases.

First cab off the ranks was Douglas Kennedy's 'The Woman in the Fifth'. You may remember me reviewing The Moment (here on the blog) a few months ago and raving about his book. So it was with a high level of expectation that I took The Woman in the Fifth home from the library.


Harry Ricks is a man who has lost everything. A romantic mistake at the small American college where he used to teach has cost him his job and his marriage. And when the ensuing scandal threatens to completely destroy him, he flees to Paris. He arrives in the French captial in the bleak midwinter, and ends up having to work as a night guard to make ends meet. Then Margit, a beautiful, mysterious stranger, walks into his life. But their passionate and intense relationship triggers a string of inexplicable events, and soon Harry finds himself in a nightmare from which there is no easy escape.


I really like Douglas Kennedy's writing - its easy, unpretentious and yet tells an exciting page turning story. This book has all these hallmarks and was easily read in a couple of page-turning nights.


However, about 9/10ths of the way through the book, I was horribly let down. Unfortunately I can't divulge too much because a) it may inadvertently turn you off the book or b) completely ruin the gripping finale. What I will say is that I was very unhappy with where the book went and I'd REALLY love to hear if anyone else has read the book and felt the same way.


I will now hunt down another Douglas Kennedy book (there appears to be quite a few) and see if any of them can live up to The Moment for me.

2 comments:

Kk said...

I know exactly what you mean! It disappointed me immensely. I see it is also a movie with kristin Scott Thomas. The moment however was excellent.

Jane said...

Yes I think a movie of The Moment would be much better...